Arctic Cooling, the company that makes the MX-branded ‘PC Thermal Cooling Compound’, has finally updated its products. The Arctic MX-5 has surfaced online before its official launch.
The Arctic MX-5 is Arctic Cooling’s first-ever product upgrade after more than 10 years. The company launched and continues to sell the Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound for a decade.
What is Arctic MX-5?
Arctic MX-5 is the latest revision of the highly popular and near-ubiquitous product in PC Thermal Cooling compound, the Arctic MX-4 from Arctic Cooling. The Swiss-based PC cooling component company is yet to officially launch the Arctic MX-5.
The latest iteration of the cooling compound appeared online in the form of a listing on the Amazon UK website. It makes the same promises its predecessor makes: A metal-free solution that is non-electrically conductive.
ARCTIC MX-5 (4 g) – Thermal Compound Paste, Carbon Based High Performance, Heatsink Paste, Thermal Compound CPU for All Coolers, Thermal Interface Material: https://t.co/1xFeMwJoFJhttps://t.co/hyHGwRYEdo
— 188号 (@momomo_us) January 19, 2021
It would be wise to wait for Arctic Cooling’s official announcement of how the Arctic MX-5 truly differs from its predecessor. However, the product description on the Amazon UK website mentions the following attributes:
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: With excellent temperature reduction performance, the MX-5 is ideal for CPU and GPU cooling, and other applications between power semiconductor components and heatsinks
- SAFE APPLICATION: The MX-5 is metal-free and non-electrical conductive which eliminates any risks of causing a short circuit, adding more protection to the CPU and VGA cards
- HIGH DURABILITY: In contrast to metal and silicon thermal compound, the MX-5 does not compromise over time. Once applied, you do not need to apply it again as it will last at least for 8 years
- EASY TO APPLY: With an ideal consistency, the MX-5 is very easy to use, even for beginners
- WELL PROVEN QUALITY: The design of our thermal paste packaging has changed several times, the formula of the composition has remained unchanged, so our MX pastes have stood for high quality
“Ensure optimum thermal conductivity with our award-winning thermal interfaces. Well known for its outstanding quality, our high-performance MX thermal compound is a regular winner in performance tests. It has extremely high thermal conductivity and is easy to apply, even for beginners. Thermal pads in various designs and sizes round out the product range.”
When will the Arctic MX-5 officially launch and how much will it cost?
As per the Amazon UK listing, the Arctic MX-5 Thermal Compound will cost £13.59, which translates to about $18.5. The listing also hints at the launch date, which is March 15, 2021.
Despite the availability of the launch date and the indicative price, it is not clear when the product will be available in the United States and other regions.
The Arctic MX-4 is still one of the most popular and reliable PC Thermal Compounds. There have been several competing products, but Arctic Cooling continues to dominate the market.
While enthusiasts do experiment with other products, commercial PC builders routinely swear by the reliable performance of Arctic Cooling’s products to efficiently transfer heat from the CPU and GPU to the attached heatsink.